Feb 27, 2010

[MedicalConspiracies] pets ear mite problems

 
  #1  
Old 07-10-2006, 03:42 AM
StickToYerGuns StickToYerGuns is offline
Junior Member                          http://www.homevet.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2867
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1
Unhappy Ear mites. Can I use Neem Oil on a cat?

I got a new dog about 2 months ago. He came with ear mites. Only one of my cats has caught them from him. They've been passing them back and forth and they're getting worse.

I have tried drowning them with olive oil on a daily basis, that didn't do anything.
Tea Tree Oil on the dog didn't do anything.
DE hasn't done anything. I know DE was drying but as a last resort, I really rubbed it into the cat's ear to see if it did anything. It didn't.

Neem Oil is really working on my dog. Every night, sometimes twice a day, I drop about 1/2 dropperfull right down into his ear and masage it. He's easy and good so I stick it in his ear and squirt it right down. Not too far but far enough. Never any black gunk in his ears since starting over a week ago.

The cat on the other hand.... I don't know what to do with. I know he isn't healthy enough to fight these things off on his own. Actually he's always had itchy ears with no explanation. No major health problems with him but I know he isn't "healthy" and want to have him seen by a local homepathic vet. I wouldl've done this sooner if I even realized there was one 20 minutes away. (thanks for the avh refferal link that's on here ) I wanted both him and my new dog seen. But honestly, I wanted to get rid of the ear mites first and then work on their immune systems and the more serious issues. If that makes sense.

His ears are really getting covered with thick, black gunk hours after cleaning them with olive oil or whatever. And yeah, getting worse but I haven't really kept on top of it like the dog.

I know Essential Oils shouldn't be used on cats. But there's a "holistic" recipie online going around for cats that consists of Lavender Oil...

Since Neem Oil is working on my dog, can a little drop be put in the cats ears?

I have Don Hamilton's Homeopathic book and he says Oregano Oil and Yellow Dock to clean it. But it's still an essential oil and what's so special about Oregano? Isn't that just going to drown them like the olive oil?

Suggestions?

Jen

Last edited by StickToYerGuns : 07-10-2006 at 03:49 AM.
Reply 
With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-16-2006, 04:31 AM
drjeff drjeff is offline
Administrator
Site Admin
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Weston, CT
Posts: 492
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickToYerGuns
Isn't that just going to drown them like the olive oil?

Yes. If this was truly just ear mites then the oil should have relieved the problem as long as sufficient quantities were used to kill the mites.

There is another critical factor however which is not being adressed. There must be an underlying susceptibility ("immune weakness") for any disease, infection or parasite to persist. In this case, the skin's natural defenses are not working properly because of an underlying energetic imbalance.

Schedule a time for an initial evaluation and ear cleaning by your local AVH vet. After the vet cleans the ears for the first time and starts treatment with the indicated remedy, do your best to continue cleaning with almond oil. Straight Neem can be toxic. Cats are very sensitive as you know.

Go back in 2 weeks for followup and repeat ear cleaning. Continue working internally as well as with the bimonthly professional ear cleanings.

This will do the trick.

Dr. Jeff
__________________
Dr. Jeff Feinman, CVH
Certified Veterinary Homeopath
Past President-Academy of Veterinary Homeopathy
Univ. of PA-1982, 1985
Angell Memorial Animal Hospital intern-1986

Last edited by drjeff : 07-16-2006 at 04:48 AM.
Reply 
With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-24-2007, 02:56 AM
Lurd Lurd is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1
Thumbs 
up Worked for me!

I agreed to take a kitten two years ago from a friend of a friend--she came with a terrible ear mite infestation. We have been battling this issue on occasion for the past two years, and the best remedy I sort of concocted myself from reading a number of these forums. I use baby oil (which is just mineral oil with some vitamin E oil) and borax, mixed together (ratio of approximately 5 to 1; oil to borax). I drop a good enough quantity into the ear canal to loosen whatever debris is left, then clean away everything I can see, including a careful distance into the top of the ear canal.

I've done this every other day for a week now, and she is virtually free of issues. I will continue for at least another couple weeks or more to make sure all eggs have been killed off. Someone said the incubation period is about a month.

Borax is non-toxic, and putting it in an oil suspension probably leaves enough residue for it to affect whatever mites are still hanging around. I had gotten a solution from my vet, and when I read the fine print realized it was a pyrethrin--which pesticide I did not want in her system. The poor dear isn't thrilled with having me muck around in her ears, but she tolerates this treatment better than any I have tried thus far, and I know she feels better.

Make sure you bleach whatever bedding your cat frequents, as she can re-infest herself.

Good luck!
Reply 
With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-23-2008, 12:55 AM
mayallen mayallen is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1
Default

ear mites is very dangerous. They can even cause deafness in worst case.

dog ear mites symptoms
Reply 
With Quote

0 comments: